Some foods have been shown to improve brain function, protect against age-related cognitive decline and encourage clarity and focus. Foods that are rich in essential brain nutrients can protect against various mental disorders now and degenerative brain diseases in the future.
Here is a list of ten foods that even health conscious people may not know can keep their brain healthy:
1. Celery – this popular vegetable is included as an ingredient in many recipes, but few people know it contains luteolin, a plant compound that reduces brain inflammation and is a factor in preventing memory loss.
2. Red meat – beef is on the list of foods doctors say should be eaten rarely, but red meat is an important source of Vitamin B12 which is essential for optimal brain health.
3. Curry – turmeric is the spice that gives curry its distinctive flavor, and contains the powerful anti-inflammatory nutrient curcumin. Research shows that curcumin improves memory and helps new brain cells to grow through neurogenesis.
4. Nuts – especially walnuts because of the plant based Omega 3 fats they provide, as well as antioxidants and phytosterols that can boost brain function and healing.
5. Coffee and dark chocolate – the caffeine and antioxidants in these two may help Alzheimer’s patients deal with their condition and slow its progression. Milk chocolate is high in fat and calories and low in the beneficial antioxidants found in dark chocolate, so choosing chocolate with at least 70% cacao is best.
6. Bone broth – is a great source of healing nutrients that can reduce inflammation in every part of the body including the joints, digestive tract and the brain. Bone broth has high levels of collagen as well as the amino acids glycine and proline which can improve memory.
The most valuable tool people have to support healthy brain function as they age is information. Many times flavor, appearance and availability is the strongest influence on what makes up the average diet, but it is wise to become educated about which foods supply the nutrition needed for a healthy body and mind.